The Threat Of CO Toxic Fumes In Your Residence

A lot of people are not familiar with the dangers of carbon monoxide because this toxic gas is impossible to see, feel or smell. Carbon monoxide is the most prevalent cause of poisoning deaths in the United States but mold and mildew are more widely known because they are unpleasant to the eyes and can cause respiratory and other allergic reactions. They can also be seen.

Carbon monoxide is more hazardous to health than most of us believe. It can cause immediate death when the volume is high and even small leaks when left unchecked for long periods of time can cause vomiting, dizziness and weakness that are at times incorrectly identified as flu.

The danger is further aggravated because most homes do not have the right ventilation. Most homeowners like to use home insulation materials and close the windows and other sources where natural air can come from in order to keep indoor temperature.

Carbon monoxide is more harmful to humans than we are aware of. Without proper ventilation, it can collect indoors and cause serious harm. Big concentrations can cause death in a short time especially when the seepage happens during the night when the victims are sleeping. Breathing carbon monoxide fumes stimulate sleep and the victims can die without even knowing that there was a leak.

Installing a gas detector is your best defense against carbon monoxide and liquefied gas poisoning. We all have one or more carbon monoxide producing appliances at home. Installing a gas detector is not yet required in some states but it is a prudent decision to install them just the same. The type and number of units to purchase depends on your actual needs. Experts suggest installing them within 15 feet of from the entrance of every room that have carbon monoxide emitting appliance. Multi level houses should also have carbon monoxide detectors in every level.

If you are also planning to install a smoke detector, there are models that combine a gas detector and a smoke detector in a single unit. There are also types that can detect not only carbon dioxide but also liquefied gas and other possible gasses. The kitchen is the best place to install these types of unit.

Indoor ventilation can be improved in leaps and bounds by incorporating an air filtration system and roof ventilation in the plans when building a new home or doing some large repair jobs, The BBB in a recent statement said that technical jobs like this must be performed by a duly licensed roofing and Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor.

A carbon monoxide detector is a very useful device in guarding your family from the ill effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. There are various models to choose from and the price is as wide ranging as the type of models available. Combination smoke and gas detector for example are best suited for the kitchen area.

Learn more about Tom Gillece Plumbing and the menace of CO odorless gas in your house.

Additional Articles From "Parenting & Families Books"

Leave a useful comment and get a free backlink from PR 4 site!

Our article directory is "comment friendly". It means - we have "do follow" links in our comments. So, anyone, who leaves sensible comment - receives link from us.

Leave a useless comment and be spamlisted!

Do not be tempted to leave here comment "I like it!", "Thank you for posting!" or even "Your post contains some contradictory ideas, which I have to think about. I'll come back to you tomorrow to continue discussion."

These comments are useles and do not bring any value to our users. We press "Spam it!" button immediately after we see such comment. And, your site goes immediately to Akismet database. As a result - your site is blacklisted on all future comment postings to sites using Akismet anti-spam plugin.

Leave a Reply